Sunday, May 19, 2013

Sharing Hmong Music

I've decided that when I share Hmong music, I'm going to stop calling it "Song of the Week," because I am not consistent at updating every week and there are some weeks that I might like to share more than one song.  So from now onward, the blog post title will just be "Sharing Hmong Music."

Here are two songs. 

Note: Some of the Hmong music share on this blog, unless belonging to conventional music genres, are not traditional Hmong music.  They're mostly covers of a particular style of music from the country that the Hmong singer is from, and in most of the cases the music will be of Lao/Thai origin, but with lyrics changed and the songs sung in Hmong to reflect the lifestyle of the Hmong.  So although the music may not be Hmong in origin, as a listener, you'll still get a glimpse into the values of traditional Hmong folk or modern Hmong lives by paying attention to the meaning of the songs instead.

Ntuj Ni Txiv Leej Tub - Maiv Lis Thoj.


 
 
 

 
Nkauj Hmoob Toj Siab - Huab Ci Yaj
 
 
*I don't particularly like the word "hilltribe" when she (or Maiv Lis Thoj too) refer to herself as being a "toj siab" girl because to me, it seems to have a negative connotation but that's the best translation I could come up with and I didn't want to stray far away from her lyric's meaning*
 

No comments:

Post a Comment