Boom.
Boom.
Boom.
Each strike seemed to shake the earth beneath my feet.
I stood at the edge of the battlefield, watching smoke crawl through the valleys like dark fingers. Blood soaked the grass. Arrows hissed through the air. Men shouted names of the dead while women cried from the hillsides, their voices rising above the chaos before disappearing into the roar of war.
I wanted to run to them.
I wanted to warn them.
I wanted to reach him.
But my hands passed through the world like mist.
I was already becoming a ghost.
Somewhere behind me, something was changing.
The air trembled.
The mountains flickered.
For one terrifying instant, the world seemed to fold in on itself. The trees stretched into streaks of green. The sky twisted into a whirlpool of silver light.
I knew that feeling.
The same impossible force that had once torn me from my own time was pulling me away again.
Home.
The word should have filled me with relief.
Instead, it felt like a sentence.
I turned one last time.
Through the smoke and chaos, I searched for him.
And there he was.
Alive.
Standing beneath the blue bamboo.
His qeej rested against his lips, and somehow, even above the distant screams and pounding drums, I could hear its melody.
He was smiling.
Not the smile of a warrior.
Not the smile of a man facing death.
Just the smile of the man I had fallen in love with.
The man who had once looked at me with suspicion because I spoke strangely, dressed strangely, and knew things no woman of his world should have known.
The man who had believed I was an omen.
Perhaps I was.
Perhaps I had been sent to him for no reason other than to prove that two people could belong to one another even when they belonged to different worlds.
His eyes lifted.
For one impossible moment, I thought he saw me.
I reached toward him.
The distance between us stretched.
Then the light swallowed everything.
When I opened my eyes, I was home.
The familiar walls surrounded me.
The familiar smell of incense lingered in the room.
Outside, cars passed on the street. Somewhere a telephone rang. The ordinary sounds of modern life drifted through the window as though I had never left.
As though centuries had not passed.
As though another world had not existed.
My stepmother sat beside the window.
She had been crying.
On the wall hung an oil painting of a young Manchu princess sitting beside her husband.
She wore an elaborate crown and robes of silk, her expression calm and almost radiant.
I stared at the painting for a long time.
“Isn't she beautiful?” I finally asked.
My stepmother wiped her eyes.
“Yes.”
“She isn't coming back.”
My voice barely sounded like mine.
My stepmother looked at me.
“No,” she whispered. “She chose to stay.”
I looked at the princess again.
My half-sister.
For most of our lives, we had never understood one another.
We had shared a home without ever truly sharing a life. Jealousy, resentment, misunderstandings, and old wounds had stood between us like walls neither of us knew how to climb.
Then another world had taken us both.
Strangely, it was there that I finally began to understand her.
She had been pulled into a world where everything was unfamiliar, just as I had. She had been frightened, just as I had.
Yet while I found a home among the Miao people, she found hers inside the Manchu court.
She had fallen in love with a prince.
I had fallen in love with a man the world considered an enemy.
We had entered that world as sisters who could barely tolerate one another.
We had nearly left it as enemies.
And yet, in the final moments, when the portal opened and both of us were given the chance to return, I had seen the truth in her eyes.
She was no longer looking at the world behind us.
She was looking at the man she loved.
She had finally found somewhere she belonged.
And I had not.
Or perhaps I had found it too.
That was why I had come back.
The portal had not given us a choice.
It had chosen for us.
I had felt the pull first.
The world around me had begun to dissolve, dragging me toward the life I had left behind.
My sister had stood only a few steps away.
I had reached for her.
“Come with me.”
She had looked at me with tears in her eyes.
For once, there was no anger between us.
No jealousy.
No accusation.
Only two sisters who suddenly understood how much they had lost.
“I can't,” she had whispered.
“You can.”
She shook her head.
“I finally found my home.”
Behind her, the prince waited.
And for the first time in my life, I did not hate her for choosing something I could not have.
I understood.
Perhaps that was the greatest gift that strange world had given us.
We had both spent our lives believing that home was a place we were born into.
Instead, we discovered that sometimes home was simply the place where someone waited for you.
So I returned.
And she stayed.
My stepmother began to cry again.
I reached for her hand.
Deep inside, however, I carried a grief no one in this world could understand.
Because I knew what would happen.
I knew the ending written for that world.
I knew the war would continue.
I knew blood would stain those mountains.
I knew the Miao villages would burn and the armies of the Qing would march through the valleys.
And I knew that the man I loved would eventually stand somewhere in the middle of it all.
Perhaps I was selfish.
Perhaps I was afraid.
But I did not want to watch him die.
So I chose to remember him as I had seen him last.
Alive.
Happy.
Playing his qeej beside the blue bamboo forest.
The melody returns to me sometimes.
Always when I least expect it.
When the rain taps against the window.
When the wind moves through the trees.
When I hear the creak of an old waterwheel somewhere in the distance.
I close my eyes, and I am there again.
The river is clear enough to see every pebble beneath its surface. The waterwheel turns lazily beneath the afternoon sun. Blue bamboo bends over the riverbank, whispering in the breeze.
And he is standing there.
Waiting.
Sometimes I wonder whether he remembers me.
Sometimes I wonder whether he believes I was only a strange dream that appeared in the middle of his life and vanished without explanation.
But then I remember what he once told me.
“Different worlds do not mean different hearts.”
I did not understand him then.
I do now.
Love does not obey time.
It does not recognize borders.
It does not care which dynasty writes our names into history.
And perhaps that is why, even after everything, I have never truly felt alone.
In spring, when the plum blossoms open beneath the pale sky, I imagine him smiling somewhere beyond the veil between worlds.
In summer, when June rain cools my hands, I imagine his fingers touching the same drops.
In autumn, when leaves whirl through the wind, I feel the ache of his absence—and somehow know that he feels it too.
And in winter, when snow settles beneath the moon, I imagine us walking together.
Not in his world.
Not in mine.
But somewhere between them.
A place where neither time nor death can separate us.
My sister once told me that she had chosen her world because she had finally found where she belonged.
I used to think that meant I had lost.
Now I understand.
Perhaps neither of us lost anything.
Perhaps the portal did not divide us.
Perhaps it gave us both what we had spent our entire lives searching for.
She found her home there.
I found mine here.
And yet, somehow, we remained connected.
Because the two worlds were never truly separate.
They moved beside one another like twin rivers beneath the surface of time.
Their people dreamed of us.
We dreamed of them.
Their memories became our legends.
Our descendants would become their future.
And somewhere, someday, when the stars aligned and the ancient forces that had once torn open the veil stirred again, those two rivers might finally meet.
Until then, I would live with the knowledge that somewhere beyond the edge of my world, my sister was living the life she had chosen.
And somewhere beyond that same invisible boundary, beneath a canopy of blue bamboo, a man was playing his qeej.
Perhaps he could not see me.
Perhaps he never would again.
But whenever the melody of spring wind moved through the trees, I closed my eyes and listened.
And there he was.
Still playing.
Still smiling.
Still walking beside me.
Though we could no longer see one another,
we had never truly parted.

No comments:
Post a Comment