Friday, October 19, 2012

Song of the Week


This is one of my favorite songs from the Hmong rock band, The Sounders.  It conveys a sort of nostalgic, haunting feeling of unfulfilled love between a couple in the old days.  So while listening to it about two years ago, it became an inspiration for a subplot to my in-progress story, Nkauj Nog.  Keep an eye out for that...

The Sounders – Puas Kho Koj Siab

Verse 1

Qaim lub hli

The moon is full

Es koj puas tseem nco txog

Do you still remember (me)?

Kuv tseem nco koj xwb

I still remember you only

Kuv tseem tshua koj xwb

I am still fond of you only

Tus duab ntxoov ntxoo

The shadow

Uas nyob ntawm kuv ib sab

That stands beside me

Zoo li twb yog koj

It seems as if it is you

Cas ho tsis yog koj

But it is not you



Hli ne hli

Moon, oh, moon

Hmo no koj ci thoob ntuj

You shine throughout the sky (world) tonight

Es koj puas pom nws

So have you seen her?

Seb nws nyob li cas

How is she doing?

Txhua hmo tav nov

Every night about this time

Nws yeej xub tuaj nyob nov tos

She would already be here waiting (for me) first

Cas ho tsis pom nws

But she is nowhere to be seen

Ntuj teb ntsiag moo to

The world is silently still

Chorus

Hmo no puas kho koj lub siab

Is your liver (heart) waning tonight?

Cas yuav ntxhov kub lub siab ua luaj

How come my liver (heart) feels so much trouble?

Li no, li nov…

Like this, like this…

Verse 2

Koj puas nco

Do you remember?

Thaum kuv tuaj nrog koj nyob

When I came to accompany you

Paub tias zoo li no

If I knew it was going to turn out like this

Wb sib pus khiav thaum ntxov

We should have eloped earlier

Txawm zoo thiab phem

Whether it turns out good or bad

Los tsuav wb tau nyob ua ke

At least we would get to be together

Ntshe nws yuav zoo tshaj

It would have been much better

Lub sij hawm ziag nov

Than how things are now

Chorus

Hmo no puas kho koj lub siab

Is your liver (heart) waning tonight?

Cas yuav ntxhov kub lub siab ua luaj

How come my liver (heart) feels so much trouble?

Li no, li nov…

Like this, like this…




No comments:

Post a Comment