The razor-wire fence curled around Phanat Nikhom Refugee Processing Camp in long, rusting loops, enclosing a world that somehow managed to be both crowded with life and cut off from it. During the day, the camp buzzed with the sounds of a small town: vendors calling out from makeshift stalls, children chasing one another through dusty paths, freshly made ice cream melting almost as quickly as it was scooped, and Cantonese love songs spilling from old cassette players with voices softened by worn-out tape. In classrooms, young and old practiced English and learned bits of American culture, preparing themselves for a country most of us knew only through stories, photographs, and the occasional television screen.
At night, the camp took on another rhythm. Children gathered around storytellers whose voices rose and fell beneath the darkness, carrying folktales from one generation to the next. Young men lingered near the paths, laughing shyly as they courted girls with flushed cheeks. Older men sat together drinking beer, their laughter occasionally bursting above the hum of the camp as they took turns standing guard against the possibility of a reprisal from the enemy we had left behind. Beyond the huts, the night stretched toward the Thai countryside, but we remained inside our circle of wire.
This was the strange world of my childhood: a place where people built stalls, fell in love, told stories, laughed, learned, and dreamed while living behind a fence.
We were not criminals, yet the fence made us feel as though we were being punished for something we had never done. We were watched closely and were not supposed to cross the boundary. Thai security guards patrolled the camp in pairs on black motorcycles, their dark-lilac uniforms tucked beneath black helmets, weapons strapped to their bodies. Their motorcycles growled along the perimeter, sometimes fading into the distance before suddenly roaring back, the engines cracking through the air like thunder rolling over the hills.
We children learned that sound before we learned many other things.
Whenever the motorcycles approached, conversations stopped. Children disappeared through openings in the fence. Adults looked up. Even those who had done nothing wrong became watchful.
We heard stories about what happened to children who went outside. People said a boy caught beyond the fence could be beaten and sold as a slave, no matter how young he was. A girl could be sold into prostitution. Others, we were told, could be locked away unless their families paid a large amount of money to get them back.
I believed every story.
At night, they followed me into bed.
They frightened me more than the ghost stories children whispered in the darkness, because ghosts belonged to stories. These dangers belonged to the world around us. I imagined being taken away from my parents and disappearing somewhere no one could find me. I imagined my mother hearing what had happened and blaming herself, then blaming me. She would undoubtedly be angry. She might even hit me for being foolish enough to get caught.
Still, curiosity had a way of slipping through the cracks of fear.
I wanted to know what was beyond the fence.
Sometimes I wanted to know so badly that the warning stories seemed very far away.
There were not many things to do inside the camp, and I was never much of a student. I went to school when I felt like it and stayed away when I did not. No one forced me to sit in a classroom for an entire day. I learned quickly which days were worth attending.
Movie days.
Those were the days I showed up.
I never cared whether what we watched was technically a movie or a television program. To us, everything that appeared on a screen was simply a movie. One story we watched often was about an almost naked man who lost his son and daughter while trying to get rid of a glass bottle that had fallen from the sky. I did not understand all of it, but I loved watching the two children devour strange fruits. They looked so bright and juicy on the screen that I could almost taste their sweetness.
The screen opened onto a world that smelled of nothing from our camp, a world where the colors were brighter and the possibilities seemed endless.
When I was not at school, I followed my mother or wandered from classroom to classroom. Sometimes her teacher taught the students how to make American food, such as sandwiches. Once, I was offered one. I took a bite and chewed slowly, trying to understand the unfamiliar mixture of flavors. The bread felt strange in my mouth, and the taste did not resemble anything I knew.
I did not like it.
I slipped away and peeped into another classroom.
Once, I watched a movie about a boy dressed in green with a pointed hat and a feather. He could fly and played with mermaids near a waterfall. The world on the screen seemed to have no fences at all. People flew over them. Water poured through them. Even children could disappear into the sky.
Other times, I squeezed into a crowd of women and children watching Nkauj Ntsum thiab Tub Tuam. I never tired of that movie. I felt disappointed whenever it was replaced by the story of a large man in a red suit riding a sleigh or by the movie about seven men in seven different-colored shirts flirting with seven women.
I wanted the stories that carried me somewhere.
The movies became my window.
When I had enough money, I could pay two baht to watch them at a small theater operated by Thai businessmen. Calling it a theater was generous. It was a large room with rows of plastic chairs and a television mounted several feet above the floor. The screen was small, but to us it was enormous because of what it contained.
I went there once after abandoning a friend because I disliked people who clung to me like glue. That morning, a Japanese Power Rangers episode dubbed in Thai played first. When the half-hour children's show ended, a Thai boran lakorn followed, telling the story of a princess who lived in a bamboo grove and wore a magical golden hair band.
The shows changed with the hour. Chinese dramas and Indian films dubbed in Thai tended to appear in the evenings. But I preferred the Power Rangers and the ancient Thai stories. I liked the colors, the costumes, the strange kingdoms, the magic. For a little while, I could forget the dust beneath my feet and the wire surrounding the camp.
I could forget where I was.
When I did not have two baht, I found another way.
I sneaked out.
A group of children and I would slip beyond the fence and gather at a little Thai snack shop just outside the camp. The shop was close enough that we could see the fence behind us, but once we sat there, it felt as though we had crossed into another country.
Sometimes I spent the one baht my father gave me on a piece of candy. I would sit on the dusty ground, letting the sweetness dissolve slowly on my tongue while waiting for the next episode of a Thai boran drama. The sun baked the dirt beneath me, and the smell of fried snacks drifted from the shop. Younger children ran barefoot nearby, crossing in and out of the fence without seeming to understand why the boundary mattered.
Sometimes I had no money.
Then I simply watched.
I could sit there for hours, listening to the television, watching children run beneath the scorching sun, and enjoying the strange feeling of being somewhere I was not supposed to be.
But we were never completely relaxed.
The guards were always somewhere nearby.
We listened for them.
A low motorcycle growl in the distance could empty the area in seconds. The sound would come faintly at first, then grow louder—the engine rattling, tires striking the road, the heavy mechanical roar approaching through the heat.
We would drop whatever we were holding and run.
The fence that had seemed so confining suddenly became the place we needed to reach.
We knew where the openings were. We knew how quickly our little legs could carry us. We knew which paths would take us home.
The guards never caught us.
But they knew we were doing it.
Eventually, perhaps to satisfy our appetite for television or perhaps to keep us from wandering outside, they placed a free black-and-white television at their station near the entrance of the camp.
It should have solved the problem.
It did not.
I did not like watching people in black and white. I wanted color—the red of clothing, the green of forests, the blue of water, the gold of magical kingdoms. Everything outside the camp already seemed mysterious enough. Without color, it felt flat and distant.
So I kept going to the snack shop.
Almost every day.
I knew I was breaking the rules.
I also knew I would probably keep doing it.
One afternoon, while waiting for my show to begin, I wandered beside the shop and began picking flowers.
They were small flowers, nothing special, growing among the grass and dusty earth. Yet I liked them. Their petals were delicate against the harshness of the ground, and I remember bending down to gather them one by one.
Then I thought I heard the motorcycles.
I stopped.
The sound seemed far away.
I looked toward the other children.
They were still there.
If they were not running, then perhaps it was safe.
That was enough reasoning for me.
I bent down and continued picking flowers.
Then I looked up.
They were there.
The Thai guards sat on their motorcycles in front of me.
Their black helmets and dark uniforms seemed enormous beneath the afternoon sun. From where I stood, they looked like giant, angry elephants, their motorcycles poised beneath them as if they could charge forward and crush me beneath their wheels.
The other children were gone.
They had already run.
I was alone.
My hands went still.
For a moment, the flowers remained clenched between my fingers.
Then every story I had ever heard came rushing back.
Would they take me away?
Would I ever see my parents again?
Would my mother know where I had gone?
Would I become one of those children people whispered about?
My heart beat so hard that I was certain the guards could hear it.
I did not know whether to run or stay.
Then one of the guards looked at me.
He did not shout.
He did not dismount.
He simply nodded toward the fence.
Go back.
That was all.
Perhaps he saw the fear in my face. Perhaps he saw only a foolish child standing where she did not belong. Perhaps he had children of his own. I never knew.
I did not wait to find out.
I ran.
I rushed back toward the fence, my feet pounding the dusty ground, the flowers still crushed in one hand. When I reached the camp, I did not stop until I was safely among the huts and familiar faces.
For the first time, the fence felt like safety.
It was better to be a prisoner with my family than a prisoner alone.
As I walked toward home, women and children watched me. Their eyes followed me as though I had committed some terrible offense. Heat crawled up my face. I wondered whether one of them would tell my parents.
The rows of shingle-roofed bungalows seemed longer than usual that afternoon. My legs felt heavy, and the secret in my chest seemed heavier still.
I decided not to tell anyone.
Not my friends.
Not my parents.
No one.
I carried the memory quietly for years.
Only much later, when I was old enough to tell the story without feeling the same fear rise inside me, did I finally tell my parents.
My mother laughed.
I understood why she laughed. The danger was long gone by then. The little girl who had stood frozen beside the snack shop was no longer standing there.
But I remembered what it had felt like.
It had not been funny then.
It had been terrifying.
After that day, I never dared to step beyond the fence again.
But my mind continued to wander.
Sometimes I leaned against the rusting wire and stared toward the Thai snack shop, wondering what America looked like. I had never seen it with my own eyes. I knew it through lessons, stories, television, photographs, and the way adults spoke about it—as though it were both a destination and a promise.
Was America beyond the old brown, shingle-roofed buildings in the distance, where the sunlight seemed to stretch forever?
Was it beyond the green hills?
Was it somewhere beyond the road?
Sometimes it felt so close that I imagined I could walk to it.
Other times it seemed farther away than the moon.
I wished America were just beyond the fence.
I wanted to believe that if I could somehow climb over the wire, walk far enough, and keep going, I would eventually reach it.
Somewhere inside me, I believed I would.
One day.
I would.
When I grew tired of staring toward the snack shop, I walked to the camp entrance and looked through another section of fence.
Beyond it lay a smooth cement road.
I loved that road.
It stretched away from the camp in both directions, disappearing beyond buildings and trees, carrying people toward places I could not see. Unlike the dusty paths inside our camp, it seemed clean and endless.
It seemed to belong to everyone.
Every so often, a vehicle came rushing down it—a brown pickup truck, a white van, sometimes a red convertible that flashed beneath the sun before disappearing around the bend.
I watched every one.
Who was inside?
Where were they going?
Were there families sitting together?
Was there a little boy looking through the window?
Sometimes I imagined that a car might stop.
Perhaps someone would open the door and ask if I wanted a ride.
Perhaps there would be another child inside, and he would stare at me with the same curiosity I had for him.
He might wonder who that strange little girl was, standing behind the fence with a dusty face and watching him.
I would wonder about him too.
Where was he going?
What kind of life did he have?
Did he have a house somewhere beyond the camp?
Did he go wherever he wanted?
Did he know how lucky he was?
Near the camp, I often saw gatherings that seemed to belong to another world. Two white towers stood beautifully decorated, and inside, people dressed in clothes I rarely saw among us. Women with short hair wore elegant gowns and dresses, some with wide belts like the one my mother had bought for me for Hmong New Year. They held clear, V-shaped glasses filled with drinks and laughed with men in black suits.
Music drifted through the air.
People danced.
People smiled.
People came and went.
I watched from behind the fence.
Why could they move so freely while we could not?
Why did laughter seem to belong to them?
I did not yet understand that the world outside our fence was not necessarily happier. I only knew that it moved while we waited.
Years later, during college, I learned something that startled me.
Phanat Nikhom was less than a mile from a beach.
An ocean.
A wide, crystal-clear blue ocean.
The ocean had been there all along.
I had been living so close to it without knowing.
That realization stayed with me.
The people I watched driving past the camp, the beautifully dressed men and women, the cars disappearing down the road—they may have been heading toward the beach. They could spend their days swimming in cool water beneath the sun and their evenings listening to music, dancing, and laughing.
The ocean was less than a mile away.
But to us, it might as well have been on the other side of the world.
The distance was not measured in miles.
It was measured in wire.
When I was not dreaming about America, I stood beside the fence and counted cars.
One.
Two.
Three.
Sometimes I lost count.
I wanted to know who was inside each one and where each vehicle was carrying its passengers.
The rushing sound of tires became a kind of music to me. Engines rose and faded, carrying strangers toward destinations I could only imagine. Each vehicle disappeared around the bend, but for a few seconds, it belonged to my world.
The cars seemed free.
Like birds crossing an open sky.
They did not stop at fences.
They did not ask permission.
They simply went.
I wanted that kind of freedom.
I wanted to move.
I wanted to choose where I went.
I wanted a life in which the road belonged to me too.
Many years after leaving Phanat Nikhom, I discovered the irony of getting what I had once wished for.
Traffic now exhausted me.
The sound of cars rushing past my window could wake me in the middle of the night. Sometimes I lay there listening to engines fade into the distance, remembering how I once stood behind a fence and longed for that very sound.
The noise that had once represented freedom had become something I wanted to escape.
Life had changed the meaning of the sound.
During my college years, I met people from many different backgrounds. Sometimes I wondered whether one of my Thai classmates had once been inside one of those cars that raced past Phanat Nikhom while I stood behind the fence watching.
Perhaps one of them had attended the celebrations I used to stare at from a distance.
Perhaps one of them had driven toward the ocean while I wondered what lay beyond the road.
If so, how strange that years later we might sit in the same classroom.
The child behind the fence and the child on the other side of it had grown into adults who somehow found themselves in the same place.
We were no longer separated by wire.
We were sitting side by side, learning, asking questions, and reaching toward futures that had once seemed impossible.
I never asked them.
Perhaps I was afraid of discovering the answer.
Perhaps some mysteries are better left untouched.
For so many years, I had wondered what was beyond the fence.
Now I knew.
It was not simply America.
It was not the road, the cars, the ocean, or the celebrations I had watched from a distance.
It was a life I had not yet learned how to imagine.
The fence had once seemed permanent because I was a child standing on the inside of it. I could see only what lay beyond my reach. I did not yet understand that fences can be crossed, roads can be traveled, and the world can become larger than the place where you begin.
The child who once pressed her face toward the wire, watching cars disappear into the distance, eventually became someone who could follow those roads herself.
And at last, I no longer had to wonder what was beyond the fence.
I had crossed it.
Not all at once.
Not without fear.
But I had crossed it.
And the world beyond it was waiting.
Author: TT Vang 8/15/2026
No comments:
Post a Comment